Saturday, October 23, 2010

Revolutionaries love karaoke, too!

Good news! There's a bar on Insurgentes with a karaoke jukebox, and as long as the doors are open, you can sing!

It's called Los Alzados ("Revolutionaries"). Seems that Señores Allende, Hidalgo, Aldama and the rest will never see the end of fame, and now they've got a karaoke bar named after them. Hijole!

When I visited Los Alzados on Tuesday, Oct. 19, there were 121 karaoke CDs to choose from, and only a few songs in English. Most were Mexican pop and rancheras (which I like to sing, as they help me to practice my Spanish) but they update the jukebox every week or two, and they've promised to add more English language tunes.

My friend Omar and I had an hour to kill between appointments, so we dropped 10 pesos into the machine and belted out a bit of Elton John and Kiki Dee, plus a couple of cumbias.

Fortunately, the polite Mexican patrons applauded instead of putting hands over their ears.

Los Alzados is open 7 days a week at the corner of Insurgentes and Relox. Karaoke is 3 songs for 10 pesos (27¢ per song).

Have you been to Los Alzados? Did you sing? Comments, please!

2 comments:

  1. That place sucks...
    The asshole (pitbull's face) manager I guess ita always angry, drinks sucks, food sucks...
    N I C E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a different experience from me. I haven't gone back there for 7 months, so I don't really know. But thanks for reading the blog and I hope you find a place you like to hang out and SING!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments respectful or they will be promptly deleted. Thank you!